Singapore may be a tiny island, but in our minds, we would probably estimate that we contribute significantly on a daily basis to depleting the Earth’s oil reserves. With the prices of cars already at a level that would shock a comatose person into life, Singaporeans feel the need to justify the price by working their cars like field horses. Except petrol ain’t cheap, so here are the credit cards that will help save you some money on that at least:
The following credit cards are rated primarily on petrol discounts. Beyond that, they’re rated based on side benefits (such as dining or shopping).
1. HSBC Visa Platinum Credit Card
The HSBC Visa Platinum Credit Card is one of the heavyweights on this list when it comes to significant savings for petrol. It covers not one but two petrol brands, and offers a maximum rebate of 5% on your petrol spend, which is extremely handy in avoiding a situation where you have to drive all over the place just to find one particular petrol station.
Just to sweeten the deal, they are currently offering 6 free admission passes to various attractions in Resorts World Sentosa, so you even have somewhere to go to after pumping petrol! Key benefits for the card include:
- 14% instant discount at all Caltex and Shell stations
- Up to 5% cash rebates on petrol
- Up to 5% cash rebate on grocery spend
- 2 year annual fee waiver
The HSBC Visa Platinum Credit Card offers a maximum of 5% cash rebates with a minimum spend of $800 for all 3 months in a quarter, and 3% cash rebate for a minimum spend of $400 per month in the same period. Apart from petrol, the card also offers cash rebates on grocery shopping and dining under their Quarterly Cash Rebates Programme, making it a very good all purpose card to have for the family.
2. Citibank DIVIDEND Card
The Citibank Dividend Card is the big boss of the Citibank suite of credit cards. Just one part of its big advantage over the other Citi cards is its additional 5% Citi DIVIDEND cash rebate that it provides on top of the existing cash rebates across all Citi cards. Just like the HSBC Visa Platinum Credit Card, this card also provides discounts at two different petrol stations, Esso and Shell. Some of the advantages of the card are:
- 14% discount at Esso stations (Site discount + Smiles Card + Citi cards discount) and 5% additional Citi DIVIDEND cash back.
- 10% discount at Shell stations (Site discount + Escape Card) and a 4% Citi rebate after the Shell discount, together with a 5% Citi DIVIDEND cash back.
- 5% rebate on all grocery, health and beauty/pharmacy spend
- Up to $1 million travel insurance coverage
If you are someone who is interested in cash back rewards, then this card is a no brainer. The card also provides 2% cash rebates on dining, and has a slew of other benefits for drivers such as giving 20% off AXA’s SmartDrive Motor Insurance. The card also provides cash rebates and discounts for other peripheral activities such as reupholstering your car, paying ERP charges and even going for STA inspections.
3. ANZ Travel Visa Signature Credit Card
The ANZ Travel Visa Signature Credit Card is a unique card when it comes to offering petrol discounts. The ANZ suite of credit cards provide petrol discounts at Caltex stations in the form of the ANZ StarCash Card. The ANZ Travel Visa Signature Credit Card not only gives you a 15% discount off the price of the StarCash Card, which is basically an indirect way of giving you a 15% petrol discount, but it also accrues ANZ Rewards Points the fastest as well, which means your overall savings on petrol increase too.
Some advantages of the card are:
- 15% savings on fuel at Caltex when you purchase the ANZ StarCash Card with your credit card
- 5% rebate on MotorPay and EZ-Reload
- Earn 2.8 miles for every $1 spent in Australia and New Zealand
- Free travel insurance coverage of up to $1 million for yourself and $100,000 for your spouse
This card isn’t just great for petrol and transport savings but also for frequent travellers to Australia and New Zealand. With one of the fastest miles accrual rates for spend in those two countries, you don’t just benefit here in Singapore but overseas as well. The card also provides unlimited and complimentary access to over a hundred Veloce VIP airport lounges around the world.